Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Question About German Name?

I'm all German and people constantly ask me what my German name is. My name is Lauren, but my parents told me my German name is Lorelai. Is my german name supposed to be on my birth certificate? I was born here in America.





I'm going to have my official name legally changed to Lorelai. But i was just curious about this

Question About German Name?
Lauren actually is derived from the Loreley, the famous witchwoman who sat on a rock by the river Rhine, combing her blonde hair and singing songs to sailors to allure them into their death. That's the German version of the legend about Ulysses (Odysseus) and Circe, as written by Homer in the Odyssey.





There's a song by German band "Dschingis Khan":


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xWNgZJPe...


They also recorded it in English, but I couldn't find it on Youtube. It's occasionally played on 80ies channels in the US, however, like club 977. Maybe you'd like to check it out at shoutcast.com and send a request to the station so they'd play the song for you.





As to your birth certificate, I suppose there will be only Lauren on it. That's the name your parents gave you. But why don't you get a copy of it and check for yourself?





If you're planning to change your official name, I beg you, PLEASE use the correct German spelling of Loreley. It doesn't look good with the ai at the end.
Reply:I don't really understand your question...? But if you want to change your name to your German name, I don't see any problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment