Thursday, July 22, 2010

Anyone know the name of a distinctive flavored creamy spreadable German Cheese?

In the 70's I lived in Germany. A German friend would have these sandwiches for break time every day and used to share them with me. They were the scrummiest sandwiches ever, and I used to ask her what the filling was, but she could only tell me it was "Cheese". It actually looked similar to Brie, but is definitely not that or Camembert.





Over 35 years later I still can "taste" that cheese and wish like anything I knew what it was called so as to get some. I've tried so many cream cheeses, but they all taste the same as each other and none taste like that particular one!





Any ideas?

Anyone know the name of a distinctive flavored creamy spreadable German Cheese?
Did it come in form of triangles that would make up to a circle if you put them together?





There were not many spreadable cheeses around at that time in Germany, but the one I remember best was called "Velveta" and "Milkana", the other spreadables (exept the french camemberts and bries) were more like cottage cheese, Quarg, Philadelphia. Those two were also called "Schmelzk盲se" = melted cheese.





http://www.kraftfoodsausserhaus.de/kraft...


http://www.dooyoo.de/brotaufstriche/milk...





Unfortunately links don't smell ....





Limburger might be spreadable too, but I think no one would put it on a sandwich. In bavaria they make a chees called Obatzda which is a Camember with butte, caraway seeds, paprika and egg, that is also well spreadable. In some regiona you have a Kochk盲se, but it would be too soft for a sandwich.





:o)





Cheers


Markus
Reply:Maybe Limburger cheese. Definately has it's own aroma. It is spreadable and tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment